Wednesday, November 4, 2009

BP6_2009112_Flickr


Flickr is another web 2.0 tool that I had not really seen in the light of having educational uses, beyond the obvious one of being a great place to create a collection of images to use in presentations. However, with just a little digging, I found some great ideas from the Illinois Education and Technology Conference. From their list of ideas, I selected one I could tailor for use in my setting for continuing nursing education. The suggestion was to use an image for analysis or as a writing prompt. I could use a picture of a patient with the related data displayed as a writing prompt. For example, I could show a picture of a patient with poor skin color, and have the monitoring equipment showing abnormal vital signs. The nurse could then select one of the differential diagnoses, and write about how he/she would prove or disprove that this was the problem, what nursing treatments are needed, what to report to the physician, and what orders the physician would be expected to give.

The reason that Flickr would be a good venue for this type of assignment is that it could be done from any computer with Internet access. I could be assured that everyone was seeing the same photo, or I could provide a group of photos and let the nurse select one. It would also be possible to have treatments depicted in a series of photos and ask the nurse to tell what sequence the photos should be in, and why. I can think of about a dozen other permutations of this scenario. What can you do with Flickr?

No comments:

Post a Comment