Saturday, November 7, 2009

BP9_2009112_Web 2.0 Slideshare


The tool I explored today is called Slideshare. It is free, one of my favorite words in the English language. This is a social networking site for sharing and hosting slide presentations. Audio can be synchronized with the slideshow, and you can embed video as well, so this is a way of hosting a multimedia presentation asynchronously. So far, this is the easiest to use tool I have found. You can choose whether to house your presentation publicly, only make it visible to your friends, or make it completely private as an ultra-secret URL invitation-only presentation. For my purposes, having the network or invitation-only settings is perfect. This would allow me to produce a course, and either invite my class members to be part of my network so that they could view my presentation, or I could send them the URL directly. Tying this in with an earlier tool that I blogged about, Nicenet, I could make the URL part of an assignment with a due date. I can almost feel things starting to click into place to allow me to put some of my content into an online format that is accessible to my learners anywhere they have Internet access, and it won’t cost any more money for my company than they are already spending on our LMS that is a bit too confining for my purposes.

I hope you will find my explorations useful. It has been a long, hard trail, but I think I’m finally getting somewhere. I hope I left myself some breadcrumbs to find my way back.

1 comment:

  1. I love the personalization you have incorporated in your blog. Thanks for sharing so much:)

    ReplyDelete