Monday, April 12, 2010

Wk 2 Response to classmate #2


SATURDAY, APRIL 10, 2010

Wk1 Free Topic Post - Learning From Failure

I really agree with this article I saw in the Sydney Morning Herald. The article states that if we don’t let kids fail once in a while, it give them unrealistic expectations for life.

As a college teacher I saw this a whole lot. Many of my students were not concerned with doing their best because they always got what they wanted regardless of their effort. They had what I call a “blinding acceptance of mediocrity”.

I think back on my life and can clearly remember times I failed. It seems to stay with you and help motivate you to better things.

Here is a good site about recovering from failure.
Overcoming Failure


This is the article.
Helicopter parents not doing enough to let children fail

  • THE belief that regular praise will improve the self-esteem of students has backfired, with educators urging over-anxious parents to let their children fail so they can learn from their mistakes.
  • Rod Kefford, the headmaster of Barker College, has warned: ”We are creating a generation of very fearful learners and the quality of our intellectual life will suffer as a result.”
  • in the 1960s, it was not uncommon for teachers to tell students bluntly that they had given a wrong answer.

Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are
here.
jratka said...

@ Andrew - I loved your saying, "A blinding acceptance of mediocrity." My own way of characterizing the same phenomenon was to call it a "stunning lack of curiosity."
I noticed that the new graduates being hired didn't wonder about anything or share my amazement at the capacities of the human body or human spirit. After a couple of years of this, I think it is starting to turn around. I have noticed more of the nurses entering my classroom are getting excited about learning again...or maybe I'm just teaching better.

No comments:

Post a Comment